'St patrick', is one of four identical yachts designed by GL Watson & Co. to the Boat Racing Assocation 18ft Class and built by William Fife in 1919. These were the first racing yachts to be ordered after the First World War and were named after the Uk's patron saints. 'St Patrick' has been restored by Fairlie Restorations alongside GL Watson & Co.
The “Saints” were commissioned by Capt. L. Lindsay-Smith for the Royal Salcombe Yacht Club. After only a year at Salcombe and a further 3 years on the South Coast, all four boats were purchased by the Royal Norfolk & Suffolk Yacht Club where they were based until 1930. After being sold by the RN&SYC from Gt. Yarmouth, St Patrick went to the River Deben where she changed owners twice and later went to Brightlingsea before dropping out of Lloyds Register for Yachts in 1952.
Having been raced and cruised on Loch Ryan, Patrick has subsequently been retrieved by G.L. Watson after he was found to be on the Isle of Whithorn in Dumfries & Galloway. It is estimated that the boat had been immobile in a garden there for 20-25 years since her last owner took her on.
British Racing Association 18' Class
George Lennox Watson
|Type of Boat:||Bermudan sloop|
|Built by:||William Fife & Son, Fairlie|
|LOA m / ft:||7.5m /|
|LOD m / ft:||7.5m /|
|LWL m / ft:||5.5m /|
|Beam m / ft:||1.8m /|
|Draft m / ft:||0.8m /|
|Other:||GL Watson Design No:498|